Tuesday

FALAFEL & TAHINI SAUCE

Leia em PORTUGUÊS


I love Middle Eastern cuisine. Falafel is one of the recipes from this cuisine that I had never tried in my kitchen. Well, now it will have to be repeated often because they are delicious and very easy to make. The main ingredient is chickpeas that only need to be soaked overnight, no cooking required! All you have to do is process the ingredients, shape the Falafels and fry them. They are not greasy at all and are delicious served with a Tahini or Greek yogurt based sauce.




The inspiration came from the last Daring Cooks' challenge when some participants made Falafel. I was specially tempted with the version that Shelley of C Mom Cook presented. I made a few adaptations and came up with this result.

For this recipe, I lightly toasted the coriander and cumin seeds before grinding them with the help of a mortar and pestle, but you can omit this step and use the same spices in their powdered form (maybe you will have to use slightly less). However, if you have never used this technique, I highly recommend you do, as the aromas are incredible!


FALAFEL
Yields 18 

2 cups soaked chickpeas (soaked overnight, approx. 1 cup dried)
1 tsp cumin seeds 
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 onion, diced
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
oil for frying

Drain the chickpeas very well.

In a frying pan over medium heat, lightly toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant, for a couple of minutes.


Use a mortar and pestle to grind the seeds. They will smell fantastic!


Put all ingredients (except oil) in the jar of your food processor.


Process until the chickpeas are a fine texture and all ingredients have been well blended.  Scrape the sides of the bowl every now and then.


Shape the Falafels with your hands making small discs or use two spoons to make them oval.


You can shape all the Falafels before frying.


Heat the oil in a pan (I use a high side sauce pan). You should use enough oil to totally immerse the Falafels.
Fry them in medium heat until golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve immediately with Tahini sauce.



TAHINI SAUCE

1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 pinch of salt (or to taste)
2 tbsp Tahini 
1 tbsp water
1tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped

In a small bowl, combine Tahini and lemon juice. Mix well, you will see the mixture thicken. Stir in garlic and salt. Add water to thin it a bit. Add the parsley.



6 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous. We love falafel, and I can't wait to try this recipe. Great Photos too. I'm Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your falafels look perfect and identical. Yes toasted spices makes such a difference. I would devour a few if the plate was in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love falafel, they are also nice rolled in a flour tortilla with salad like a souvlaki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love falafel they are especially nice eaten like a souvlaki in a flour tortilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your falafel looks AMAZING!! I am so glad that you tried them and enjoyed them!! The combination of spices you used (and toasting them! YUM!) sounds so tasty. Mmmm. Now I want to go and make some more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the idea. This will be a good dish at the moment as I am abstaining from meat during Lent. I am going to have them with cucumber raita in a chappati. I hope I shape them as perfectly as you have though; they're lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Devido ao grande número de mensagens de "spam", Testado, Provado & Aprovado não aceita mais comentários anônimos. Desculpem o transtorno.

Due to the large number of spam messages, Testado, Provado & Aprovado no longer accepts anonymous comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...