Tuesday

TANGERINE CAKE

Leia em PORTUGUÊS


Since the December Daring Baker's Challenge, Christmas Stollen, I've been trying to learn how to make Candied Orange Peel. Most of the recipes have a final step of leaving the peels to dry at room temperature for long hours. I was in Brazil at the time and it was a steaming hot summer there. In Brazil it is very common to have little ants around your kitchen, it doesn't matter if you live on the ground floor or on the 22nd floor (like I do). You cannot leave ANYTHING unattended for longer than... let's say... 10 minutes(???) Specially if there is sugar involved (and don't be surprised if you find them in a bowl of salt, or making a crowd around a piece of roast chicken... sigh...). So I had to look for a recipe that didn't have this step, and I found it at Coisinhas da Bárbara. I followed the easy steps and came out with a very nice result, not as nice as hers, but it was perfect for my Stollen. The recipe yielded much more than I needed so I would munch on them every once in a while. I noticed that they were a little too bitter still, and also there was too much sugar around it, so the only things that I would change in this recipe are:
  • reduce the sugar a little 
  • repeat the blanching process a couple more times.
Yesterday, I tried to do this again, this time with tangerines (or mandarins, or clementines... I still have to research on the different types), and it just didn't come out as expected. I blanched them 3 times and then added them to the sugar syrup, but they just didn't dry out, they became a sticky mess :o( Nevertheless, my husband tried it and thought it was quite tasty and suggested a tangerine cake to use it. Ok, I used the candied peel in the batter and thinly chopped them for the frosting. I have to say that this cake came out so good! It filled the house with tangerine smell and the taste was just amazing!! I don't think it would be different if using successfully made orange or tangerine peel ;o)


TANGERINE CAKE

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil)
90 g plain yogurt
1/3 cup tangerine juice
1/4 cup candied tangerine  peel

For the icing:
2/3 cup icing sugar
a few tsp tangerine juice (strained)
1 or 2 tbsp candied tangerine peel, finely chopped
  • Preheat the oven at 190°C (375°F)
  • Mix egg, oil,yogurt, juice and candied peel in a blender until the candied peel has been cut into tiny pieces. Set aside.
  • In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  • Add the mixture from the blender and whisk until well incorporated.
  • Transfer to a small, greased and dusted baking pan.
  • Bake at 190°C (375°F) for around 35 minutes or until golden brown. Test for readiness inserting a toothpick or a skewer, if it comes out clean, it's ready.
  • While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting.
  • Put the sugar in a small bowl and slowly add tangerine juice, mixing until a paste forms. Add the tangerine peel, very finely chopped.
  • When the cake is ready, turn it over a cooling rack and spread the icing while it is still hot.

11 comments:

  1. I love this kind of cakes simple and ellegant.
    best choice with afternoon tea. Your cake baked to prefection. Pictures looks as front page of any food magzine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I second Sadaf.. I love this kinda cakes..and orange zest...mmm i can smell here.. I already few recipes from ur space and now this goes in that list too Renata.. thanks for sharing and the texture looks oh my cannot wait to try this and looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cake. I will try this simple cake looks so moist and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a perfect cake with a glass of cold milk. love the citrusy flavor.
    thanks for sharing Renata, have a wonderful Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super tangerine cake! Looks so moist and fluffy, it's irresistible! With your great recipe, I think I can make this one. We just love the lovely taste of orange in cakes! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! It looks moist and delicious...Looks like a great recipe that could be adapted to any citrus ..I am keeping this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, your tangerine cake looks gorgeous! Love the glaze on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks wonderful despite the problems it gave you. I'd love to have a piece right now. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks lovely, and your photos are fantastic, I am going to steal your recipe for a baby shower this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I found your blog, via/Swathi, who mentioned your amazing cake. It looks so light, and perfect with the citrus flavor. Love the drizzle on it. Your photos are beautiful, as well!
    I'm folllowing your blog, stop by my blog and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this recipe on the forums Renata. I can't wait to give it a try

    ReplyDelete

Devido ao grande número de mensagens de "spam", Testado, Provado & Aprovado não aceita mais comentários anônimos. Desculpem o transtorno.

Due to the large number of spam messages, Testado, Provado & Aprovado no longer accepts anonymous comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...