Tuesday

HOMEMADE PHYLLO DOUGH & BAKLAVA - Daring Bakers' Challenge - June / 2011

Leia em PORTUGUÊS







Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.


I was speechless when I read about this month's challenge. It's been a long time since I started searching for a homemade phyllo pastry recipe. And so you ask, why would anyone want to make phyllo dough from scratch when we can buy it ready to be used and save a lot of work and time? Well, it isn't very easy to find phyllo dough in Brazil and I have never seen it in Korea (my two places of residence at the present time). Anyways, I do love a daring challenge and I knew that making homemade phyllo would be a way to challenge my baking skills to the next level!

I couldn't be happier with the final result. Our hostess provided a video showing the technique of rolling paper thin dough, which for me was very successful as you can see in the picture above. Obviously, store bought phyllo is even thinner but I have to say that the homemade version leaves nothing to be desired in the final product which was this amazing and delicious dessert called BAKLAVA. I loved this challenge and I will definitely make many other recipes with homemade phyllo.

I followed the recipe provided with only a few changes:

I halved the filling and syrup instead of doubling the dough;
I omitted the sugar from the nut mixture;
I used almonds, walnuts and pecans.

If you want to see the amazing job that my fellow Daring Bakers came up with, please visit THE DARING KITCHEN where you will also find the original recipe and guidelines for this challenge.
.



3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am truly impressed. This looks fantastic. Well, this is another challenge I missed. Such a busy summer so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renata, bravo for making your own phyllo then fashioning it into a homemade Baklava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, you raised the bar for the phyllo sheet challenge! I can't stop admiring how perfect they are. And your baklava looks delicious, excellent job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Devido ao grande número de mensagens de "spam", Testado, Provado & Aprovado não aceita mais comentários anônimos. Desculpem o transtorno.

Due to the large number of spam messages, Testado, Provado & Aprovado no longer accepts anonymous comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...