Tuesday

KOREAN STEAMED RICE

Leia em PORTUGUÊS


I've been living in Korea for almost 5 years now and I'm about to go back to Brasil for good, but it was only recently that I started exploring the Korean cuisine to learn how to make some dishes that we learned to enjoy. Now, afraid of  missing their food when we go back home I'm getting a little adventurous and you will be seeing some Korean recipes around here soon. I've already posted about making Kimchi, Yakgwa and Triangle Kimbap. Back then, I used to buy ready made steamed rice to use in Korean dishes, but now I decided to learn how to make it and I have to say it is easy and simple. It's very basic, no spices or salt added. I know I made it successfully because it was as sticky as it is supposed to be :o)

Rice in Korea is different from the one we're used to in Brazil. The grains are short and they are sort of  oblong rather than needle-like. It doesn't matter how you prepare it, it will always be stickier than the rice we're used to eat in Brazil, but this is the way they like it. And now, I do too!



Making steamed rice is fairly simple, however, Koreans usually use electric rice cookers. You can find them everywhere in models ranging from the very simple and cheap to the most sophisticated apparatus. I didn't care for buying one, as our rice consumption is not in a Korean scale and it would use valuable space on my kitchen counter.

I found these instructions at My Korean Kitchen, and adapted them to the results I got from the experience in my kitchen.

 Step 1: Rinse the rice

Measure the rice you need and place it in a bowl. Fill the bowl with water and make a swirling movement with your hand. Don't scrub the rice.

Strain the water and repeat this process 3 more times. The last water won't be crystal clear, but that's the way it is supposed to be.

Strain the water well and immediately place the rice back into the bowl. 


Step 2: Soak

Measure the water that will be used for cooking the rice, and pour it over the rice. Let it soak for 30 minutes.

The rice-water proportion is 1 : 1.2 (in volume), and this is what I came up with:

1 cup (240ml) (220g) Korean rice
290ml water

You can measure manually using the "knuckle method" as shown HERE, but I wasn't that adventurous!

Step 3: Cook

After the soaking time, transfer rice and water to a pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat and immediately turn down the heat to the minimum possible and simmer with a lid until the water has evaporated. Be careful, mine took only 5 minutes! 

Step 4: Rest

Turn off the heat and let it sit for additional 15 minutes, covered, to finish cooking.


 Stir the rice so that the moisture is evenly distributed.

There are special rice spoons, like the one in the photo, that have a special texture that won't let the rice stick to it (interesting!)


Ready to serve!




2 comments:

  1. Hello darling! So you're cominng back to Brazil! I bet you're so happy about it, even if 5 years is a very long time and probably it will feel a bit weird at the beginning.
    I heard about a similar way of making rice many years ago. I met a guy from Pakistan who explained to me and it was delicious. Thank you for sharing your korean culinary experience with us. Big hug, swetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use a rice cooker, but do measure the amount of water using my hand too. Only, I don't put my whole hand in the pot as in the link! First time I've seen it done that way! I dip in just the little finger and measure from the tip to the first joint.

    ReplyDelete

Devido ao grande número de mensagens de "spam", Testado, Provado & Aprovado não aceita mais comentários anônimos. Desculpem o transtorno.

Due to the large number of spam messages, Testado, Provado & Aprovado no longer accepts anonymous comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...